Saturday, December 10, 2011

Footloose and fancy free! Camille L. looks back at the 2010 Section Euro arts exhibition







In June 2010, when I was still 15, I took part in an arts project with my class mates from the Section Européenne from Saint-Eugène lycée: an exhibition we set up called Are you lookin' at me?!” about self-portraits.

Everyone has their own idea about what a self-portrait is. I think a good portrait of oneself is one that reveals who we are “inside”, our feelings and thoughts...

I tried to talk about myself through a series of 19 snapshots entitled “Leg-ends”. My feet are shown in different guises which reflect a particular humor, an idea or a saying... People, especially adolescents, are often ashamed of their bodies, and especially their feet. They are victims of the social norms concerning the “beauty” of the body. But everyone has to stand their feet, because we have to stand on them!

Feet are a misunderstood part of the body. For Instance, in China, for over a thousand years, women had their feet wrapped tightly in bandages to make them as small as possible. Chinese education mainly imposed submission and social conformity. This practice restricted women’s freedom. The small size of the foot was synonymous with high social status and beauty.

Creating a self-portrait was a good way for me to think about my self-image, but it was not a narcissistic exercise. Frida Khalo's self-portraits inspired me; her work is not self-indulgent, it is about the physical and psychological suffering we all go through at some point in our lives. 

Our exhibition was fun, but also thought-provoking. It made me realise that I have something to say, that I have quite a bit of imagination, and that others are in fact interested in what I have to express...

No comments: